Subject: Re: [Leica] which M for me
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:27:21 -0500

> At 08:03 PM 3/31/99 -0600, Gary wrote:
>
> >Could any of you out there tell me if I would be less pleased with a dual
> >stroke M3 as opposed to the single stroke model.  I don't think the earlier
> >style would bother me.  Do any of you have a reason as to why I wouldn't
> >like an earlier one?  Any one I get will get the overhaul treatment.
> >
> >gck
>
> Gary -
>
> I love mine and never have a problem remembering to double-stroke it.
> Somehow the "feel" of the camera reminds me to cock it twice.  The rewind
> knob on mine broke several years ago - (my fault - it jammed and I tried to
> force it).  I had that repaired and the camera has worked perfectly since.
> I'm rough on cameras and this one is tougher than the other M's I have.
>
> Leically,
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley, ASMP

Gary,

I'd have to echo Tina's comments on the M3. I use mine mostly for 50mm
as I like the larger viewfinder magnification. I wish it had 75mm
framelines for when I get that lens.

Mine, too, is double-stroke and I like its smoothness and the shorter
throw with each stroke. I was once told that it's even preferable to
short-stroke the advance with any M camera as it's easier on the gear
train.

As for desireable M3s, my understanding is that the earliest ones with
glass pressure plates are to be avoided. Other than that I leave it up
to other LUG members to offer any caveats.

One other thought, if you're going to get it overhauled and you're not
concerned about collectability, you might want to have the flash
terminals converted from European to standard PC. And, while you're at
it, if you don't plan to use flashbulbs, have both terminals set for
x-synch so you don't have to remember which to plug into.

Cordially,
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/