Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Autofocus & Leica
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 07:17:08 -0600

At 05:07 PM 3/30/99 +0000, you wrote:
> Except for the challenge to my
>dexterity everytime I load the M6, and for the supposedly stronger
>construction of the M body (as contributed by the baseplate design), I find
>the leica M film loading design terribly archaic.

As many people see to have a problem with this, it's obvious that they just
futz with it too much. You stick the film in, close the flap, put the
bottom on and start winding. Don't worry about it. It seems to be in
inverse proportion to the likelihood they someone gets it right. The more
they futz, the less likely it gets loaded right.

You don't have to set the film, make sure it's on the sprockets, or
anything like that. Just make sure you get the film in the take-up spool
like in the picture on the bottom of the camera (with the bottom off,
actually) not too far into it, and not too short. Takes about 1/2 second to
check. Sometimes you might have to stop to shorten the film a bit because
you got it too long before putting it in, but with some practice, it's just
as fast, or faster, and more reliable than any manually loaded SLR.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.