Subject: Re: [Leica] which M for me?
From: "Paul Klingaman" <pklingaman@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:42:12 PST

Eric,

I know just where you're coming from.  I recently made the move from
nikon slr to leica m.  I wish now that I'd done so a long time ago.  To
answer your question, I'd say, (IMHO) that you've got to weigh what's
important to you.  In the past 5 months I'd been looking extensively for
an M3.  The meter wasn't that important to me, and I figured I'd save
some cash by purchasing the older m3.  The thing is, that later M3's run
in the neighborhood of $900+ due to their collectability.  M4's and M5's
are just way too pricey for shooters becuase of their collectability.
Because you will be shooting with the camera, rather than putting it in
a case, or on a shelf, my advice would be to go with either the M4-P, or
the M6.  If you could do without the convenience of an integrated meter,
the M4-P can be fairly reasonable.  However, the metering system on the
M6 is great, but you will pay for it.  In my search for an M3, I came
accross a chrome M6(non TTL) in mint condition for just $1400.  It was
just about 400 dollars more than most later M3's, and a whopping 700
dollars less than the new TTL M6.  Which brings us to the next concern:
for about 300 dollars more, you can get a brand new M6 non-TTL with a 3
year passport warrenty.  Many people consider this added insurance well
worth the cost.  I think you'll also find the framelines on the M6 to be
supurb for the 35, 50, and 90 setup.  With M6 prices the way they are
right now, and considering your usage of the camera system, my advice
would be to bite the bullet and go with an M6.  You won't regret it.
Personally I've found my 'deal' on Ebay, but I have also seen completed
auctions for M6's that make me say, "What where *they* thinking?"...Be
careful.  Don Chatterton(on the web) also seems to have reasonable M
prices, and some members of this list will also be able to refer you to
some really great, honest dealers.  Be patient, consider shopping for
your M camera like searching for a spouse.  You will grow deeply fond of
it quickly.  Have fun, and ENJOY whatever you decide to purchase.

Best Regards,
Paul Klingaman