Subject: Re: [Leica] which M for me?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:36:40 -0800

Matthews Brian wrote:

> Hold it a second. I would not give up by Nikon gear when getting into Leica.
> I own both, and many's the time when I prefer the Nikon. For automatic fill
> flash situations; when shooting moving people with autofocus; when depth of
> field is important to see in the finder. The Leica does lots of things well
> and it's GREAT when weight is an issue. And yes you can get by with just a
> Leica outfit pretty well. But I'd wait and see if you really want to
> jettison your Nikons.

snip

Is a M body worth these two F bodies, 3 manual lens?
I couldn't bear to part with my Nikon stuff for pennies. They are worth
more for me as a backup until my M system fleshed out compleatly.
Primo glass bought for Primo cash now reduced to junk because of the
scourge of autofocus.
(OK some of it is autofocus.)
By chance I pulled out an infamous hunk of tupperware yesterday. My
8008. Put a 24 2.8 non AF lens on it. Literally stuck a roll of Tri X in
it wear upon it sucked it up with a faultless motorized whirl. Auto this
Auto that! What the heck!
I havent got anything wider than a 35 for my M System yet despite the
fact that I have 4 lenes. Crazy HuH!
When I get the 24 and a second body I will be fleshed out on the M
system and might be unable to resist the urge to bring some of these
Nikon odd's and ends to swap meets to give me. fodder for getting Leitz,
Rollei 35 or TLR or Hasselblad knick knacks.
All I'll end up with in the end Nikon is a Body and a 200AF macro.
That's all I need in world of SLR.
How about an M2?
Mark :-) Rabiner