Subject: RE: [Leica] I missed it.
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:09:50 +0200

Eric,

Let's formulate this differently: direct eye contact between viewer and
subject (note the absence of the photographer in this relationship) makes
it easier for the viewer to relate to the subject. "Easier" does not mean
it is "better" for the photographer to systematically organise that direct
eye contact. A good, efficient, picture works more interestingly if the
photographer can offer to the viewer other means of relating to the
persons. I mentionned some of those means in my post: showing intensive
interaction between the subjects, or capturing
composition/tonalities/attitudes/expressions that are powerful enough.

Nevertheless, photojournalism and eye contact are not necessarily
contradictory. Plenty of images come to mind were a member of a group looks
at the viewer while the others go about their business. There (sadly) is a
very large crop of those in the moving pictures of the latest events at the
Kosovo borders.

It is difficult to produce images that 'work' on their own right. Very
often, pictures of people "getting on with their lifes" fail to function as
soon as the caption disappears. In those circumstances, it is the caption
and the article that tell the story, transforming the pictures into
illustrations.

Alan

On mercredi 31 mars 1999 16:30, Eric Welch [SMTP:ewelch@ponyexpress.net]
wrote:
> At 03:45 PM 3/31/99 +0200, you wrote:
> >The
> >absence of eye contact makes it more difficult for the viewer to relate
> >the people that are being photographed
>
> Direct eye contact stops the action. Stops any kind of real  life that
> could have been communicated by the photograph. It says "Hey, I'm being
> photographed." It has little to do with the life of the person.
>
> I'm not under the delusion that somehow magically a person is not aware
of
> the camera. But when a person gets on with their life, the pictures
becomes
> more communicative in a way that portraits never are. It tells us
something
> about the person's life, and transcends just telling us what they look
> like, or what objects are in their environment.
>
> For sure, as you say, it's not easy to do, and the best work is done by
> masters. But this is the life blood of photojournalism. Which is where
> Leica Ms are the most desired camera around. (For those of us who aren't
> married to fill flash, but low-light candid photojournalism/documentary
> photography. Portraits are often static, easy to do compared to real life
> documentary photography.
>
> Any "connection" to the person is an illusion anyway. Kind of like people
> who look at pictures and move around the room and say "their eyes are
> following me." Of course they are, it's a two-dimensional picture.
They're