Subject: RE: [Leica] I missed it.
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:45:24 +0200

Eric, Nathan and all,

It seems to me this has been discussed before. The fact that a subject
makes eye conatct with the viewer through the photographer does not
contradict the documentary nature of a pic. Loads of Salgado and HCB pics
(to name our usual references) work thanks to this type of interaction. The
absence of eye contact makes it more difficult for the viewer to relate to
the people that are being photographed. In this case, the efficient picture
will be the one that shows intensive interaction between subjects, or that
captures composition/tonalities/attitudes/expressions that are powerful
enough as to be capable of compensating the absence of direct contact. That
is the talent of the masters...

Alan