Subject: [Leica] Re: I missed it.
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:36:23 -0800

Eric:

>>Direct eye contact stops the action. Stops any kind of real  life that
could have been communicated by the photograph. It says "Hey, I'm being
photographed." It has little to do with the life of the person.<<

I agree with the stop action part. I disagree that direct eye contact stops any
kind of real life communication.

For example, consider the photograph of the Afghan refugee that was on the cover
of Nat Geo a few years back. I consider that more documentary than portrait.
Secondly, Salgado's picture of the worker carrying the round metal wheel on his
shoulder. (It was in "Workers" and I've seen it printed in a half dozen other
places as well.) The eye contact actually pulls you into the strenuous activity.
And how about Bourke-White's Nipomo Woman? No action there. But it certainly
communicates real life and has everything to do with the life of the person.

Dave