Subject: Re: [Leica] which M for me?
From: Robinsnes@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:56:55 EST

	The following is my experience with Leica. Others will have their own point
of view.I personally have 2 M3 (one single and one double stroke), an M4-2 and
an M5. The M3's are certainly solid and very heavy. You know you are holding,
and carrying, a lot of camera. The M4-2 seems to have constant problems with
it's slow shutter speeds. However, I like it and one day will spend the money
to really get it serviced properly (it has already been to two highly
recommended repair people in the states and they have not been able to solve
its irratic behavior below 1/8 second. The M5 is an interesting piece of
equipment. Some like it, others hate it. Mine is a 3 lug but I have the strap
set up so that the shutter area is free of straps and entanglements. I have
small hands and it is more comfortable that way. The meter is extremely
accurate and it is the Leica I use whenever I am shooting slides. I like it, I
even like the size and heft (like the M3 you feel you have a solid machine in
your hands).
	I have looked at the M6. It has too many frame lines to appeal to me. It has
become overly complicated and the funny blinking lights are distracting to me.
The M4 or M5(if you like the size and meter) are my ideal when using the 35mm
and 50mmlenses. The 90 is ok, but then with the 90 and 135 I prefer to use the
M3 because of the larger viewfinder.
	I have another system of slr's. It has a whole range of lenses that are nice,
but heavy to carry around. My usual Leica system is an M4 or M5 with 35
summicron and 90mm elmarit. When I want higher speed in the 90mm range I use a
summicron but with an M3 because to me it balances and seems to have enough
weight so that it is easier to hold steady for slower shutter speeds.
	Life is a tossup. You don't get everything in one package. On vacation and
for always having a camera, I love the Minox 35 GT-E. Loaded with 400 slide
film it is the most wonderful camera around...I have owned 5 of them since
they were first introduced. I'm glad they are imported by Leitz. The lenses
are first class (I have some beautiful 16x20's from 400 ektachromes) and the
plastic can sure take a beating and it continues to work (when I fell
overboard in upper Ontario it  stopped so I bought a new one).
	Probably too wordy, but I hope you keep your slr's and add the fun of  a
rangefinder Leica. It's your choice:-)
Roger
Robins Nest Photography