Subject: RE: [Leica] I missed it.
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 07:40:27 +0200

Bruce,

I agree with you that there is no systematic approach to the eye-contact
issue, one way or the other.

That said, I find that our debates much too often concentrate on the
relationship between subject and photographer, which is NOT the main issue
IMHO. The main issue is the relationship between the picture and its
viewers: that is where the picture justifies itself and comes to life. The
photographer is an intermediate step between the subject and the viewer.
The talented photographer is the one that carries the subject into  images
that will seem relevant to the viewer. In the case of pictures of people
(and animals as well), eye-contact is the easy, obvious, way of linking the
subject to the viewer. There are also many other ways, that are much harder
to use.

At the end of the day, to my eyes, pictures are often not "missed" because
of bad focusing or bad exposure settings, but rather because they fail to
connect the viewer to what is represented on the print. This very often
happens with images of 'people going about their lives' (social
photography, photojournalism, street photography, whatever you call them).

The pics you mention, and many others that have been mentionned in other
threads, are successful because the photographer has found ways to
establish that affective link between the subject(s) and the viewer. And
then no one really cares if the image is 'razor sharp' or not. Pics lacking
that link will systematically require an explicit caption in order to
connect to the viewer, even if they are otherwise perfectly focused and
perfectly exposed. Then, it is the combined talent of the editor and the
'illustrator' that saves the day.

Every time I look at my pics, I wonder if they are in a position to relate
to an unknown viewer. Generally they fail that test. Sometimes (very
rarely) they pass. And that is a thrill even greater than looking through a
Leica loupe at the contrast/resolution/tonalities of a 'technically
correct' Velvia slide produced through a Summicron ASPH ;-)

Alan

On mercredi 31 mars 1999 17:05, Bruce Feldman [SMTP:brucef@waw.pdi.net]
wrote:

>  I think that eye-contact, to the viewer, makes the photographer a
conscious
> presence in the photograph.  Sometimes that "works," sometimes it
doesn't.
> Leica-user Rodtchenko's famous "Portrait of My Mother" comes to mind (old
> woman with glasses; pimple on her brow picked up by polka dots on her hat
> and the circles of her granny glasses, remember?) where she's looking
away
> from the photographer, would be distancing to the viewer if there were
eye
> contact.  We would lose the leit-motiv of the photo.  Same with
Rodtchenko's