Subject: [Leica] which M for you?
From: DenizSaylan.Foto@t-online.de (D.Saylan)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 11:10:41 +0200

Hi Eric,

a few years ago, I just got mad about my Nikon stuff. I had two Nikon F2
and one F3 all with Motordrives and lenses from 20mm to 200mm. I am
professional photographer and used my gear often in extreme situation.
But with the time, the gaer got in bad shape and after some war
reportage and other adventure staff it wasnŽt lined up, even after
bringing them to the original service twice a year. The other bad thing
was, that I had to carry a lot of pounds with me and there were
situations where the Nikons declared me as a pro photographer which is
not helpful in some delicate situations.

When I started to take photographs, I got the old M3 from my grandfather
with a 50 mm Summicron. One day, after carring the hole day my Nikon
throug the city, I just took my M3 out of the box and played with the
lens. The focusing was going smooth and the shutter worked fine, even
the camera and lense were over fourty years old. I put a slide film into
the M3 and one into my Nikon, put the Nikkor 50mm 1.4 on and went out to
take some pics with a tripod to compare the quality. After getting the
films for the lab, I coud see the difference without magnifier. I took
my hole Nikon gear, cleand it and brout it to the daeler, sold it at
once and bought me a M4-P and a goggled 35mm which I could use on my M3
and on the M4-P. I didnŽt regret that day once.

Of course, It was hard as a professional photographer to work from one
day to the other with that few things, but I worked fine after
re-learning how to make good photos without 8 or 9 different lenses. The
great thing is, that you can move easy like a bird and you donŽt pull
attraction to your presence.

Now, I changed to M6 and IŽd consider to do so, too. If it is possible
for you, get the M6, which one is equal. All this shit around M6, TTL,
and so on, there is no difference, just quality. I have tree M6, the
oldest is 13 years old, the newest just a few month. I tested the M6
TTL, it is a good camera, but the classic is now very cheap. I could get
you one  brand new M6 from my dealer for 2900 German marks, with offical
bill and warranty. The exposure meter is so accurate that I do not have
tho have any doupt when taking Velvia Slides, even in critical
situations. IŽd consider to take the 35mm/2.0 Summicron and the 2.0/90mm
Summicron with that two lenses you can do whatever youŽd like to do,
later on maybe the 24 or 21mm.

Cheers,

Deniz