Subject: [Leica] Leica in Tokyo
From: "M.Mori" <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:13:44 +0200

Hi, all.
I am now in Tokyo.  Tokyo has been a heaven for Leicaphiles.  Here you can
easily find Leica-obssessed/addicted persons on the streets showing off
their Leica(s).

New Leica: In recent years price gaps between Japan and the US (and other
countries) have become smaller.  This appears to be what Solms wants.  Here
are some examples.

M6 TTL, 2100 USD
24/2.8 asph, 1080 USD
35/1.4 asph, 1850 USD
50/1.4, 1350 USD
Tri-Elmar, 2000 USD
R8,  1950 USD
(two-year international warranty)

Used Leica:  There are so many Leica shops in Tokyo that it would take more
than a week to vist all of them.  I found a lot of captivating items on the
shelves of Lemon Co. in Ginza, which is the leading Leica dealer in Japan.
Following are some bargains I found.  They are on consignment sales and thus
with no warranty.  I think the cheaper the better, but the problem is that
they sell only at their shop and accept NO returns in ANY cases.

R6.2 mint, 990 USD (I bought it)
70-180R/2.8 (no ROM) mint, 2500 USD
80/1.4R, (no ROM) mint, 1300 USD (I bought it)
35/1.4R, (no ROM) mint, 1160 USD
50/1.0M almost new with box/case, 1600 USD (I bought it)
50/2.8M mint, 450 USD (I bought it)

Konica Hexaon 60mm/1.2 (LTM, with a viewfinder) is available!  The price is
190000 yen (1600 USD).  It is well built and has dimensions similar to those
of Noctilux 50/1.2  I think it is too expensive and looks only "not bad"
with M bodies.  I have had no convincing info concerning Hexar II.

Cosina 25mm Skopar is already available.  According to a test report in
Noppon Camera (one of major Japanese photo journals), it is quite sharp but
a bit prone to flare, and Cosina is now making it better.

Ricoh 21/3.5 LTM (930 USD) will be avaiable quite soon.

Yasuhara started supply of T981 to those who made reservations (300/month).
More than 3000 are now on the waiting list.

Do things here interest you?

Cheers,

Mikiro