Subject: [Leica] The Work of Eisenstadt
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:10:15 -0500

> Goebbels - Definitely Goebbels - and Ben is absolutely correct - without
> the eye
> contact the photo would be meaningless; with it, you loose sleep after
> looking at
> the photo. IMHO this is the absolute best Eisenstaedt, much of whose work,
> Leica
> or not, is grossly overrated "People" photography. He may have been the
> world's
> most charming guy, but....
>
> B. D.

	I have to agree with you, B.D., that Eisenstadt's work was,
over-all, not spectacular in the quality of the pictures he took. However,
what I find remarkable about Eisenstadt is that one man could have been
present with a camera-- generally a Leica-- at so many historic moments.
While his pictures may not qualify for a place on the gallery wall, he left
a remarkable record of the people and events that shaped the Twentieth
Century world. I believe that establishing this record is as much a part of
the p.j.'s job description as is taking pictures of transcendent beauty.
The picture of Goebbels is a good example, we will forever be able to put a
face on utter evil, even after the weight of history has diminished our
appreciation of the past.

		Buzz