Subject: [Leica] Paradise Lost
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 07:51:57 -0500

Gene actually told slightly varying stories about this picture of his
children...that it was totally spontaneous, that he suggested where they
walk...that there may or may not be a prior or subsequent shot.  I doubt if
he was trying to mislead anyone, we all have variable memories from time to
time and I doubt that at the moment he took the picture he knew it was
destined to be the iconic picture for the "Family of Man" show at MOMA (as
over-rated a show as ever mounted IMHO), and that an absolutely
unimpeachable record of its provenance should have been recorded.  He was
always consistent, as I remember, in noting that it was the first picture he
took after recovering from his wounds...whether or not it was the very first
shutter trip, someone with more knowledge of photographic history than I may
be able to answer.

	Buzz Hausner