Subject: RE: [Leica] I missed it.
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:35:40 +0200

Eric,

This is a public list, I am not lecturing you, I'm trying to make sure we
are talking about the same thing and that others are in a position to
follow the conversation. A date and a name of a place or a name of a person
are not really covered by my definition of what makes a "caption", they are
more like the title of a painting printed on a sticker next to the frame.

I repeat that I agree that text and images together might be more powerful
than separately: we do not disagree on this.

But the successful picture, IMHO, will be the one that can have a life
(i.e. relate to the viewers) without any caption or with no more than a
date and a place or a name.

It is much easier to write a relevant text that functions without pictures
than shooting a relevant picture that functions without text. This is the
MAIN point, if you wish to snip...

The examples mentionned here, as well as your analogy with painting (Mona
Lisa) confirm that opinion; not because they are "Art", but because they
convey a vast array of feelings and/or informative data on their own right
and in a way that the viewers relate to.

Some pics are dead without a caption (as defined hereunder), other pics are
alive even with no such caption. For me, IMHO, the latter are what makes
photography a means of expression per se.  The others are (good or
mediocre) illustrations to a story mainly told by a text.

Alan

On jeudi 1 avril 1999 15:54, Eric Welch [SMTP:ewelch@ponyexpress.net]
wrote:
> At 07:54 AM 4/1/99 +0200, you wrote:
> >The
> >caption is that text, made out of complete sentences, that explains to
the
> >viewer what is on the picture. The picture then illustrates the text.
>
> Alan,
>
> First of all, there is no need to lecture me on what a caption is. I've
> been writing them for 12 years.
>
> This word-herder attitude is what's wrong with the publishing industry.
All