Subject: RE: [Leica] Eye Contact
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:33:08 +0200

Eric,

"Odious" ? "Simple formula" ? You do have knee jerk reactions that are
totally out of phase with what the posters you answer to have written.
NOBODY here wrote that "eye contact makes better pictures".

Regarding the status of the photographer in my sentence, I maintain what I
have written, and I extend that to the editor as well. What is important is
the relationship between the viewer (or the reader) and the picture (or the
story). I do not place the editor ABOVE the photographer. But I do make the
distinction between photographic work and illustrative work. Some
photographers are very capable suppliers of effective illustrations, but do
not necessarily produce images that are going to survive the article they
are linked with. Some people design great sketches and great caricatures,
other people are great painters.

Regarding the "eye contact" thing, I maintain the following: the talented
photographer is the one that carries the subject into  images that will
seem relevant to the viewer. In the case of pictures of people (and animals
as well), eye-contact is the easy, obvious, way of linking the subject to
the viewer. There are also many other ways, that are much harder to use. I
have listed my views of those other ways in 2 previous posts, so I'll stop
repeating myself here.

At the end of the day, I fully agree with your last paragraph hereunder.
And certainly wish you read more than 1 paragraph of the posts you react
against with so much anger.

Alan

On jeudi 1 avril 1999 15:43, Eric Welch [SMTP:ewelch@ponyexpress.net]
wrote:
> At 07:40 AM 4/1/99 +0200, you wrote:
> >The main issue is the relationship between the picture and its
> >viewers: that is where the picture justifies itself and comes to life.
The
> >photographer is an intermediate step between the subject and the viewer.
>
> Though the first part is true, the latter attitude is an odious example
of
> where the publishing industry is today. Editors too often don't care a
bout
> the photographers. They are interchangeable commodities. There isn't
> anything important in style of the photographer. The context of who the
> photographer is in terms of that person's ability to produce a body of
work
> that moves the reader.
>
> No, it's a simple formula, like eye contact makes better pictures. Or
means
> a connection. That's too easy, too simple approach to reading
photographs.

> Too many editors and illustrators THINK they save photographers with
> creative caption writing. It's hogwash. For example, in Time this past
> week, on their web site, there was a picture of the streets in a city in
> Kosovo that was an obvious time exposure. The automobile lights were long
> streaks on the street. There were streaks of light in the sky. They were
> parallel with the curvature of the earth, so they obviously were stars.
But