Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Getting Close and Discreet
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 18:19:02 -0500 (CDT)

I never remember a time when people on the street WEREN"t
alarmed and annoyed by street photographers....but now they
have a blood-sucker (attorney, for non-Texans) or a 'bleeding
heart' (Kalifornika or Boulder, possibly?) on every corner waiting
to defend their "rights".....
A million years ago, in Journalism school, we learned that one could
photograph anyone not on private property....if the photos were
not used "commercially" (editorial, reportage, and some 'art' were
OK)...I'm sure that this has changed with the loss of most of our
personal freedoms, I just don't care to keep up (or shoot, for
that matter).
Bear in mind that some locations, that which the "offended" persons
couldn't avoid, such as doctors offices, pharmacies, basic
needs sources, were somewhat 'protected' as the people HAD to
go to these places....but the street, and most 'public' areas,
were fair game....

I'm less scared by the 'dangerous' people on the street than I am
by our government and it's imps, these days....I can put up a
pretty good fight, and still run like hell if need be, but that
ain't what I'm worried about these days....

I'm sure that our 'legal-eagles' (25% of the list?) will "straighten
me out" and shed more light on the subject, as always....

Walt

On
Mon,
5