Subject: Re: [Leica] Compulsive political message posting
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 20:33:32 -0400

At 04:38 PM 4/5/99 -0700, Richard Edwards wrote:
>One common sign of depression is a tendency to lead most conversations
>into politics, or other irrelevant issues that weigh heavily on one's soul.

Irrelevant?  Thucydides has Pericles saying, "[W]e do not say that the
person who takes no interest in politics minds his own business;  we say he
has no business here at all", while Heinlein describes politics as the only
game in town for adults.  They both understated it by quite a bit.

Irrelevant?  Sheesh.  Cameras are, ultimately, irrelevant, as are cars and
military history and most of those other things we spend a lot of time
worrying about on the Net.  But politics, while it really doesn't belong on
the LUG, is hardly "irrelevant".

The true enemy to civilization are those who sleep without knowing how they
are losing the battle to preserve their liberties, and those who judge
politics to be "irrelevant".

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!