Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Getting Close and Discreet
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 21:18:33 -0500

At 07:31 PM 4/5/99 -0200, you wrote:
>     Man sues NY Times magazines. A "stock" photo of a black man walking
>down a crowed street was used on the cover to illustrate a "negative" story

New York Times Sunday Magazine had a story about, I seem to remember, poor
black people. They found a stock photo of a black man standing in a crowd
on a street. He was actually a pretty wealthy person. He didn't like being
portrayed as poor, so he sued. The magazine lost because it portrayed him
in a false light. Which goes to show how people who make simplistic choices
set themselves up for a penalty. They wanted a picture of a black man as a
symbol, and when that symbolism was not accurate, they paid the consequences.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.