Subject: Re: [Leica] Capa and the Wide Angle Lens
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 07:22:47 +0200

I fully agree with this. At a recent occasion (street carnival in Binche,
Belgium) I shot some slides with the 35mm Summicron and some with the 75mm
Summilux. Using the wide angle forced me to come closer to the subjects, in
some cases 1m or even less. When I view the slides, the 35mm images are much
better than the 75mm ones. Both lenses are superb, so the difference is not due
to any quality differences. The pictures where I got close, really close,
simply have more impact to them, and this impact is not easily reproducible
with a longer lens.

Nathan

Eric Welch wrote:

> While this is true, after seeing the work of many, many amateurs, and not a
> few pros, actually, what Capa says is good advice. Many people just don't
> get close enough to their subjects. They also don't use near-far
> relationships well, they put things in the middle of the frame too much.
> The list goes on.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium