Subject: [Leica] Is the "you should not see the curtain seam" rule absolute ?
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@imaginet.fr>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 18:53:17 +0200

Hello,

Some time ago, I saw a single stroke M3 at a used equipment reseller's. It
was very affordable (for France prices :-) ) and seemed in good shape but
when I opened the back, I could see the curtain seam. I remembered the
Classic Cameras advise "Watch the closing edge of the 2nd shutter curtain.
After the shutter trips, you SHOULD NOT be able to see the seam on the left
hand side of the shutter.  If you can, it is a sign the shutter needs
servicing." and did not buy it.

Yesterday, I went back to this reseller's. He told me that he returned the
M3 to Leica France who did not find this was a problem and so did not
serviced it.

Does the rule apply to all M ? On another side, I don't remember if I saw
the seam after or before I triggered the shutter. Does it apply only after ?
(on my M5, I never see it).

Thanks for your help.

- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)