Subject: Re: [Leica] Cops run amok
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:29:20 -0500 (CDT)

I've worked as an electronics technician for years, at least
as a second job.....it's POSSIBLE that a flash unit (actually
the camera sync) could start a fire in an explosive environment...
in this case, I don't know whether flash was being used...if not,
then there's no problem....if it was, then the person probably should
have held off, or removed the flash.....

However, did the cop use his lights/radio????....being extremely
familiar with commercial radios, I'll tell you that most cities
don't buy "explosion-proof" radios...as do the military and
some chemical companies....they buy off-the-shelf, (nowadays usually
cheap, imported) radios....if so, the cop was as big a danger with
his light bar and his radio....just a thought...
Of course, he did have a badge, cowboy hat, and gun....we gave him these
things along with the right to kill at his discretion, so maybe
the photographer was 'out-gunned'?

I have one of these "explosion" proof radios.....and license
for same.....would the DA support the cop's 'removal' of my radio?

Ignorance, yes, but whose?

Best,
Walt

On