Subject: [Leica] Problem with M6 scratching film
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 12:07:17 -0700

Dan wrote:

>It looks like we can add one more thing to the list of things to watch out
>for when shopping for a used M Leica; that is signs a previous owner has
>tried polishing the pressure plate.>>>>>

Hi Dan,

this thread on polishing, rubbing down, sanding and or whatever of the film
pressure plate in an M6 is sheer madness by anyone who isn't a trained
technician. Would anyone of them having scratches on their eye glasses
start grinding or polishing similarly? Not bloody likely!

As some of these folks have experienced a form of scratching on film from
the M6 pressure plate the logical common sense thing to do is,  "send the
scratched films and camera to Leica .... wherever that maybe in the world
and let experienced people do their thing.

The consequences of an owner screwing around trying to save a few dollars
"fixin things" inevitably leads to a damn fortune for much greater repairs.

Your point is well taken when looking at used gear from now on, as
obviously there are idiots out there who actually believe using a rubbing
compound or  other abrasive to polish the pressure plate is a quick fix.

Thanks for the heads-up.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant