Subject: [Leica] M focusing tips? / Action photography
From: "Folmer, Derek" <derek.folmer@rtit.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:23:26 -0400

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01BE84F8.771019F0

Hello,
I would appreciate if people could share experiences on some of the
following problems I have encountered over the weekend  while taking =
white
water action photos with an M3.

- - I find the rangefinder fast and accurate for focussing when you have
objects of sharp contrast. This weekend I was taking photos on rapids =
of
narrow streams with dark shoreline - unless there was a birch tree or =
some
white snow patches it was difficult to focus. Could it be my =
rangefinder
needs adjustment or is it just more diffucult in that type of situation =
(I
am using an old camera and can't seem to pick up a double image in poor
contrast situations).

- - It is difficult to focus on paddlers as they go by, so I often try to =
set
up for where I know they will be going to be & since you can't focus on
surging whitewater I use the depth of field range. Any other ideas on =
how to
get an accurate focus. Especially when you don't have time and need to =
fire
something quick!

Typically I was trying to keep shutter speed above 1/250 (to freeze =
some of
the action) and also tried to get f-stops of around f8, but often =
needed to
let in more light (using 100ASA slide film).

If anyone has tips on how to photograph moving objects in difficult to =
focus
situations it would be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to see how the slides turnout - spring run-off in Qu=E9bec =
makes
for great photographic situations!

Thanks
Derek

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01BE84F8.771019F0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.0.1461.43">
<TITLE>M focusing tips? / Action photography</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hello,</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I would appreciate =
if people could share experiences on some of the following problems I =
have encountered over the weekend&nbsp; while taking white water action =
photos with an M3.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- I find the =
rangefinder fast and accurate for focussing when you have objects of =
sharp contrast. This weekend I was taking photos on rapids of narrow =
streams with dark shoreline - unless there was a birch tree or some =
white snow patches it was difficult to focus. Could it be my =
rangefinder needs adjustment or is it just more diffucult in that type =
of situation (I am using an old camera and can't seem to pick up a =
double image in poor contrast situations).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- It is difficult to =
focus on paddlers as they go by, so I often try to set up for where I =
know they will be going to be &amp; since you can't focus on surging =
whitewater I use the depth of field range. Any other ideas on how to =
get an accurate focus. Especially when you don't have time and need to =
fire something quick!</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Typically I was =
trying to keep shutter speed above 1/250 (to freeze some of the action) =
and also tried to get f-stops of around f8, but often needed to let in =
more light (using 100ASA slide film).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">If anyone has tips =
on how to photograph moving objects in difficult to focus situations it =
would be greatly appreciated.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I can't wait to see =
how the slides turnout - spring run-off in Qu=E9bec makes for great =
photographic situations!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Derek</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
- ------_=_NextPart_001_01BE84F8.771019F0--