Subject: Re: [Leica] M focusing tips? / Action photography
From: John Hudson <jahudson@direct.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:03:38 -0700

At 11:23 AM 12-04-1999 -0400, you wrote:

<excerpt>

share experiences on some of the following problems I have encountered
over the weekend  while taking white water action photos with an M3.

</color>

accurate for focussing when you have objects of sharp contrast. This
weekend I was taking photos on rapids of narrow streams with dark
shoreline - unless there was a birch tree or some white snow patches it
was difficult to focus. Could it be my rangefinder needs adjustment or is
it just more diffucult in that type of situation (I am using an old
camera and can't seem to pick up a double image in poor contrast
situations).

</color>

paddlers as they go by, so I often try to set up for where I know they
will be going to be & since you can't focus on surging whitewater I use
the depth of field range. Any other ideas on how to get an accurate
focus. Especially when you don't have time and need to fire something
quick!

</color></excerpt>

I have been using an M3 since 1965 in almost every conceivable lighting
condition and absent any light at all have never experienced any focusing
problems. My initial reaction is that the focusing mechanism is in need
of cleaning and lubrication.

jh