Subject: Re: [Leica] M focusing tips? / Action photography
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:08:18 -0800

Folmer, Derek wrote:

> If anyone has tips on how to photograph moving objects in difficult to
> focus situations it would be greatly appreciated.

Derek,
While no expert, here are some things to consider.

the M has some advanges: mostly that you can see framing around the
subject and see what is ahead.  So you can pick your moments better.

Consider working with slower shutter speeds.  this has two benefits.  If
you pan well (and that is a matter of practice learning to float the
arms and going into a zen-like state), you will have shart subject and
blurred background--and a great deal more sense of motion.  But you will
have to be generous in your use of film--great keepers are knockout, but
far between good frames.  Consider shooting from the shade side,
backlit, and use strong flash fill at 1/50th.  Could be wonderful.

If you can, pick a spot for focus.  With Ms you are not going to do any
super tele anyway, so depth of field is not a tremendous issue.  Using
slower shutter speeds will give a complementary decrease in aperture and
more DoF.

The best way to do action is to get in the middle of it if possible.
When I do things like water skiing, for instance, I use a chase boat
traveling at the same speed.  Simplifies life enormously.  But a little
difficult with kayaking.

Frankly, zoom lenses and AF aid enormously in these circumstances and
are worth their weight.  You can remove a nut with a pipe wrench, but a
quality socket works better.  Right tool for the job.

The M will be better for the spectators and inside the prep area of the
participants, capturing their moods and methods.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego