Subject: [Leica] lens comparisons between brands
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:38:47 -0400

Erwin Puts & Eric Welch,

>>This topic is a classical one...It is also a futile one IMHO!<<
>>.........Leica differs from Canon & Nikon & Zeiss......It would<<
>>be more instructive & enlightening to evaluate lenses as <<
>>having optical char. that support your type of imagery<<

Over the last three months ( Jan.-Feb.- March 99) I went thru a
very serious condition in which I experienced loss of balance &
was unable to see clearly! I'm happy to say that I'm now getting
better & slowly recovering my faculties ;-)!

As a result, I decided to augment my Leica system with auto focus
& purchased a Nikon F100 with several Nikkor lenses. It was a
decision based on pure pragmatics. However, as I suggested
before, my sight has returned with 20-20 clarity......Thank God!

These background issues are written not to elicit sympathy; but,
only to clarify motivation & make clear how wonderful I feel about
the gift of sight ;-)!

Thus, imagine my surprise ( I was a "dyed-in-the-wool" Leica guy )
when results from my new Nikkor 85 f1.8 "knocked my socks off"!
Notwithstanding, my lack of lab gear to verify; E100SW slides from
the Nikkor look as beautiful as slides from my Leica R-90 f2.8.

There are differences; but, they are quite subtle & await someone
with higher levels of verbal skills to differentiate than me ;-)! Clearly,
these lenses have different "personalities"!

Needless to say, these are two great lenses & as I infer from Erwin's
last MSG, I  need further experience to put these optical gems to
optimal use :-)!

Tom D.