Subject: Re: [Leica] lens comparisons between brands
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:40:02 -0500

At 08:41 PM 4/13/99 +0200, you wrote:
>In stead of discussing top class lenses in simple terms as better or worse,
>it would be more instructive and enlightening to evaluate  lenses as having
>certain optical characteristics that can support your type of imagery.

Erwin is so right.

I shot a photo story last Friday night. With all of my lenses somewhere in
there. But the one used for most of it was my 70-180 2.8 Vario Apo Elmarit
R. I was shooting at the "Pony Express Opry" a country music revue. The
light was low - from f/2.8 at 1/180 way down to f/1.4 at 1/2 second).

I hand-held my 75 Summilux at 1/2 second, by the way, with my hand propped
on the back of a seat. Got a very nice image.

But what really stood out was the Vario Apo. In stage lighting, with fast
moving subjects, it's performance was stunning. No flare whatsoever, razor
sharpness, and beautiful color and contrast. This lens is in a class by
itself in such situations. Better by far than the 180 Elmarit R, or even
the 90 Summicron R. Though I used that lens too at fast stops.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Microwave: Signal from a friendly micro...