Subject: [Leica] Re: lens comparisons
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 06:54:58 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/99 1:03:56 AM, thomas j donovan wrote:

>Thus, imagine my surprise ( I was a "dyed-in-the-wool" Leica guy )
>when results from my new Nikkor 85 f1.8 "knocked my socks off"!
>Notwithstanding, my lack of lab gear to verify; E100SW slides from
>the Nikkor look as beautiful as slides from my Leica R-90 f2.8.
>
>There are differences; but, they are quite subtle & await someone
>with higher levels of verbal skills to differentiate than me ;-)! Clearly,
>these lenses have different "personalities"!

of course they do. And you know what? Neither one is "better" just different.
I've always been puzzled by the insistence of people on this list in saying
that Leica lenses are supposed always to be "better" when in reality they are
mere tools that do something in a particular way. If you happen to like that
"way" then they are "better." If not, they aren't. Nothing wrong with Nikon
gear, but I use Leica because I like what it does and the way it feels.

charlie trentelman
ogden, utah