Subject: [Leica] X-ray
From: Martin Howard <marho@ikp.liu.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:27:23 +0200

Yes, I know, this has probably been beaten to death, but I thought I'd
still share some experiences from my recent trip to London.

First off, I had the films in see-through plastic canisters in a trans-
parent plastic bag.  In other words, it was plain to the eye that the
bag contained films and nothing else.

I politely requested that the films be hand inspected and explained that
I would be travelling through different airports and wanted to avoid
the film going through the x-ray machine.  Upon returning, I explained
that it was fast film (400 ASA) and that it had been exposed.

Dispite this, I was (rudely) refused hand inspection and the film was
put through the x-ray machines anyway.  In Brussels, one inspector
claimed that the films could be put through the machines 50 times with
no ill effects.  I asked them if they guaranteed this and would refund
any damage, which was simply ignored.

(Flying is becoming a pain in the arse.  You get treated like cattle
from
the moment you step into the airport until the second you're out the
other end.)

What arguments do you present to ensure that your film gets inspected
by hand and not shoved through the machines?  I haven't developed the
film yet, so I don't know if any damage has occurred.

M.

- --
Martin Howard, Grad. Schl. for Human-Machine Interaction,  |
HMI/IKP, Linkoping University, SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.|    Just
Tel: +46 13 28 5741; Fax: +46 28 2579; ICQ: 354739         | say "DOOH"
E-mail: marho@ikp.liu.se; www.iav.ikp.liu.se/staff/marho/  +------------