Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Advertising, was How could the R8 be bettered?
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:00:19 EDT

It is my view the pressure plate problem is something to be somewhat
concerned about as it is at the foundation of the camera system and should be
checked 100% rather than the customer becoming part of the Leica factory
quality assurance group.  If Leica can't get the pressure plate right 100% of
the time, what else is it missing that will show up down the line.

From what I read on the Net, Leica is having problems with the R-8.  Just
more evidence of a failure of quality control at the expense of the customer.
 For years the M-3's were held up as the finest camera machinery that money
could buy for the reason it worked as it came from the factory rather than a
substantial number having to be tested by the customer.  If Leica does not
have time to do the job right the first time, when will Leica have time to do
the job right the second or third time?

I have loved the Leica M system for over 40 years but the M-6 has ended the
unquestioned confidence that the camera is right, and this is the direct
fault of the Leica management philosophy or the M-6 would be just as well
made and reliable as the M-3 cameras.  I suspicioned that the Leica
management was "bean counters" rather than manufacturing engineer types and
that was confirmed yesterday.  All the "bean counters" want to do is enhance
the bottom line rather than provide the best product that may be produced.

It is very likely quality control can be returned to its former capability
and the M-6 cameras improved to M-3 quality and reliability with no more than
$100.00 increase in price which would thrill every M-6 user.

Quite frankly, I do expect a Leica camera to be thoroughly reliable right out
of the box especially when it costs over $2,000.00.  Coddling continuted
Leica manufacturing and quality control blunders will only result in more of
the same.

Let's hope the new Leica Germany management team will be able to turn this
around  so confidence in Leica equipment will become well founded.

In the meantime, have you heard what Leica plans on doing to resolve the
pressure plate problems?