Subject: Re: [Leica] 75'lux focusing
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:12:39 -0400

Really?  Then rebut it; to dismiss it as nonsense is to say nothing at all,
let alone to make an argument.

I suppose the "we" here refers to some other group of Leica users, one that
doesn't include me.  Though I'm loathe to play the "mine's bigger than
your's game,"  I'll mildly note that I've been using Leica RFs for 25
years, and I don't offer this as a casual observation.  Doubtless someone
will now chime in with, "Well *I've* been using them for 27 years and . .
."; but I merely suggest that whatever *you* ("we"?) think the "Leica look"
is, I've been *looking* at it for a long time.  It's silly and
unwarrantably arrogant of you to suggest that I somehow "miss" the point.

You've completely misread my comments vis-a-vis SLR users.  I make no
assumptions about the relative sophistication of composition among various
forms of cameras; you do.  Most important: you seize upon an invidious
comparison between RF and SLR that is entirely of your own construction.

To be quite frank, it doesn't appear to me that you understand my post.

Chandos

>No, this reasoning is nonsense. Nobody can tell if a person is using
>rangefinder cameras or SLRs, if those pictures were taken by a skilled
>photographer who knows what they want. The Leica look has NOTHING to do
>with composition. That's misses the point of what we are talking about
>completely when we talk about the Leica look.
>
>To claim that SLR users do not make as sophisticated, or skilled
>compositions is just too far out. How could anyone believe that? Optically
>there is NO difference between say a 50mm lens on an M or R camera when it
>comes to composition. Where focus is placed and what depth of field is
>determined by focusing distance and aperture. Not which focusing mechanism
>was used. This argument settles nothing.
>
>Eric Welch
>St. Joseph, MO
>http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
>My computer's sick. I think my modem is a carrier.

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http:www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown