Subject: [Leica] OT: Leitz Focomat I
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:31:47 +0200

Bill, Welcome to the club Focomat I owners! I use mine when I want the
classical black border around prints. Mine has a Focotar lens, and is as
good as my IC.

>Leitz/Leica gear).  Specifically the enlarger column is wobbly.  I suspect
>that a pin (screw?) that stabilizes the column has been sheared off.

I had the same problem, and replaced the screws that mounts the column to
the plate. I just used any bolts that would go through the holes, so I could
tighten from both sides with screwdriver and a small wrench. I also replaced
the electical wire, as it was too old to trust. There was no red filter, so
I had to buy a red filter in a photo shop. It was made for photographic use,
but works in the darkroom too.

>lens appears to be a 39 mm mount, but because of the barrel extension on
the
>lens, I cannot get it to focus on any other enlarger that I presently have.

You will need a special distance adaptor, in order to focus. These do not
need to be Leica originals, there are lots of them on the used market, of
different sizes. They can also be used in combinations, to get correct
distance for the lens. Shops that sell used enlarger lenses, usually have
these adaptors in stock. Maybe you will buy a Focotar lens later, and the
one that will fit is the original Focotar (the Focotar II came in 1974).

Some info will be found in Morgan & Lester's Leica Manual and Theo
Kisselbach "Das Leica Buch" from 1957. But I think you will manage without
any manual. The autofocus adjustment is made in the same way as on the newer
Focomat IC.
I think my sample is 40-50 years old, but still going strong! Although I
have a IC and V35 as well, I still like my old 'beast'!

Good luck, Hans