Subject: RE: [Leica] QC & scratch plate
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@imaginet.fr>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 22:04:10 +0200

Hi Ted,

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you post.

> a perceived scratch situation need not clutter the LUG with scratch
> messages and just send their camera to Leica and let Leica sort it out.

So what is a user group for ? Maybe you will find this ridiculous by I
always thought of user groups as (virtual) friends meetings or at least a
meetings of people sharing a interest. When one have a problem related to
the subject of the group why not discuss it ? First, I guess the original
poster was worrying about those scratches and could find some comfort by
telling his story, second he could have received a solution by another
lugger, third, that allowed several persons to discover that they were
victims too. This, IMHO, fully justifies the post. Let me say too that,
although I don't own a M6, I was very interested by the thread and impressed
by its human and technical quality. I can understand you don't share my
opinion on that point.

> What happens with a post of this nature is, it tweakes all the Leica worry
> worts who immediatly rush out buy mega size magnifying glasses or
> 100 times
> loupes :) and begin examinging their film for scratches.  Then immediately
> blame the camera.

If I had bought a $3000 body (ok $2000 in the US, lucky people) I would
expect it to work perfectly.
What I would find strange is that a M6 owner did not check his films after
several reliable persons told us here they had the problem too.

> My suggestion ....why worry about the scanner so much, go in the
> darkroom make a real old time print 11X14 or larger and see if
> the scatches
> appear.  If they do not appear on a real print, then throw the
> scanner away
> and get a new scanner, as the problem lies with the scanner and not the
> camera!

I guess few will agree but the scanner is now THE way to use a picture. As
you say yourself a darkroom is an old time way to work. Only amateurs and
some fine art photogs still use an enlarger. Anyway, as somebody stated in
the thread, if a M6 produces scratched films and other bodies don't the
Leica is faulty, not the scanner.

Have a nice day.

- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)