Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@ma.ultranet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 22:06:49 -0400

At 05:13 PM 4/17/99 -0400, Dan wrote:

>... Have you ever tested other camera shutters in this manner? It may
>well be that EVERY focal plane shutter is like this, except no one
>goes about trying to measure it.

Hi Dan, I got in the habit of checking many OM-1n's and 2n's that I
have bought used, to find which are working better and which need to be
tuned up. I have 2 OM-4T's which are pretty consistant at 1/1000,
within 1000uSec to 1200uSec, The 4T's have a 1/2000 max speed and that
is where they have a 1/3 stop variation. I thought that a new M6 would
perform much better than random ebay OM-1n specials.

So you are probably right, the horizontal FP shutters are probably like
this. and for a quiet shutter, it may be a small price to pay.

I took the M6 camera back and exchanged it for another. This one is a
little better, maybe 1/3 stop variation, 1300uSec to 1000uSec start to
finish. I suspect this is the norm for this camera.

Wayne