Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 23:04:40 -0700

Hi Walt,

The ladies here at the "zoo" forgot my medication today so I thought I
could get away with a rant :) or two before I get back to serious Leica
stories and pictures for the book. Yeah we're getting there, but the women
folk keep me on a tight leash,  occasionaly they slip up on the pills and I
get loose.:)

>It's my unscientific observation based on this group, my own post-1975
>leicas, and friends' cameras that a LARGE number of them leave the factory
>ill-adjusted, and no, I don't find this acceptable in a $2000 camera
>purchase>>>>>>

I agree with you completely, simply because in all my years I've never
expected anything else but absolute perfection because I'm buying Leica.

However, what I see is a tendency for some of our LUG folks to go beyond
what one might call reasonable "perfection."  Yep, I'm the first to scream
bloody murder if I've popped several grand for a lens or body and it
doesn't work!  My  recommendations are as always........"just send it back!
To hell with Leica ....you paid a lot of money for it and it should be
perfect!"

Now come on Walt, that isn't what "I" fondle! :)

<<<<  I know that they nitpick every body and lens with a goddamn loupe,
looking for "flaws"....I've dealt with them for years (thank GOD that's in
the past)....but don't these people DESERVE the best for their dollar? even
if it'd be better spent on PROZAC?>>>>>>>>

I couldn't agree with you more! Any person buying a Leica, given it's
history, should receive an absolutely perfect picture taking machine
without question.

However, the fact the camera is made by human beings only means there will
always be imperfections. That isn't an excuse for Leica, thats an excuse
for human beings!  Like pilot error. We all know we're not perfect, or we
damn well should understand we're not.

When a Leica isn't as perfect as we feel after purchase, it should be
perfect, please don't whine folks, just send it back!  Isn't that simple?
Instead of making a great big month long LUG whine?  Sure it's good to let
the rest of us know you have discovered a situation, but it doesn't require
making a major QC thing out of it.

>When MOST of the Pentax K1000s put MOST of the Ms to shame out of the box,
>with regards to finish assembly and speeds,>>>>>>

Walt you know that fine technical stuff and I always figure you're right
from a down and dirty on the street hard working kinda guy....this just
means I agree with you that the Pentax shouldn't come out of the box in a
better delivered state than a Leica! Considering the price, the Leica
should be floating out of the box.

<<<<<<perhaps these anal-retentives have a point>>>>>>>>

Walt try, "Rectal orfice!" :)  on the next one! :)  And maybe you'll get your

<<<<<<next mint/misadjusted/but fingerprint-free M6? :) :) :) :)>>>>>>>>>>>

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant