Subject: Re: [Leica] Best 50 mm LTM lens?
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:06:12 +0200

At 6:47 pm +0200 19/4/99, Hans Pahlen wrote:
>I have just found a LTM Leica III (black) with an uncoated Elmar 50/3,5. In
>order to get best possible image quality, I wonder what 50 mm LTM lens you
>think is best. I mean earlier designs than the LTM Summicron 50.
>I am thinking of the red scale Elmar 50/3,5 or maybe the Summitar 50/2,0.
>Will I notice any difference at middle apertures?

Hans,

I just made a preliminary comparison between a Summitar 50/2 and a current
50/2.8 Elmar.  I have seen only two rolls of Neopan 400, but possibly can
say that at 2.8, the current Elmar is much more contrasty while at f 5.6 the
difference is small.  What surprised me is that Summitar is very good at
portraits, giving mild and rich tones with enough resolution from f4.  I
remember someone said that the images with this lens change from "cotton" to
"silk" as it is stopped down.    Mine costed only 200 USD. ^_^  Enlightment
from connoisseurs would be appreciated! I am now curious about both Leica
and non-Leica LTM lenses (Nikkor, Canon, Rokkor, Topcor, Nocton/Ultron,
Ektar,.....).

Leicalement,

Mikiro
Strasbourg