Subject: Re: [Leica] Re; Rom Lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:13:00 -0500

At 11:02 AM 4/20/99 -0700, you wrote:

>I read somewhere that Leica had played with AF, and decided against it
>because they could not find a system that gave them consistent  results.

Leica was an early innovator of AF. In fact, they had their Correfot system
before anyone else had a serious system out.

The reasons they did not go with it was because they could not drive their
lenses fast enough to be up to snuff speed-wise and have reasonable battery
consumption. They refuse, and those of us who use Leica are grateful, to
cheapen up their lenses (build them less sturdily, to make them focus
easier - thus faster) to do AF.

As an aside, I just got back from a trip to Kansas City to C&J Photographic
where I played with the new Maxxum 9. The Leica guy there said, "Eric,
checking out the new R9?" I said, "You think this is going to be the R9?"
He said, "Yep."

Leica is putting on a Leica show this Friday and Saturday at that store, so
I'll be checking it out with the Leica folks.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world
every day always just exactly fits the newspaper. --Jerry Seinfeld