Subject: [Leica] LHSA Solms Spring Shoot
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:50:09 -0400

Dear Luggers:

I thought that the general LUG membership would be interested in a few
facts about the Solms Spring Shoot.  I arrived several days early and
visited Solms on my own where I had factory service performed on an R
35-70 Vario  zoom lens and a M6 camera body both done at no charge while
I waited for the respective items.  The staff was very cordial.

The group arrived Wed. the 14th of April and the main event was a
cocktail party and buffet at the hotel - The Wezlarer Hof.  This is a
wonderfully situated hotel that offered great value.  The buffet
breakfast included in the room rate was vast in selection and of high
quality.  On the 15th we met with Lars Netopil, a law student who owns
Classic Cameras,  a Leica shop in Wetzlar specializing in
collectibles.   He gave us a guided photo tour of the entire city of
Wetzlar including the houses where Oscar Barnak lived and the Leitz
family dwelling.  We walked around  the Old Leica factory part of which
is now the new Town Hall ( neues Rathaus).  The remainder serves the
Leica instrument and microscope division.  On the 16th we made the
official Solms factory tour where we were given an overview of Leica
history by Otto Weller and Karlhans Weckler as well as a slide show.
The factory tour was interesting but unnerving as no one was working.
It was apparently a lay off day and it was clear that Leica is having
some problems.  I heard it stated that R8 sales are far below projection
with approximately 2,000 units sold out of a projected 8,000 for the
first year.   M cameras and lenses exceed R camera and lens sales. We
were able to "play with the toys" and handle the entire R and M lens and
camera lines receptively including the new lenses .  One of the
highlights was the photo opportunity taken by each attendee to be
photographed  holding the unique original Ur leica which was taken out
of a vault for our visit.  We were treated to a general lecture
regarding lens design by our own Erwin Puts which was the highlight of
the factory tour for me.  Well done Erwin.  If you are not on the
factory payroll, you should be!!!!

That evening we met with the German Leica Historical Society at the
historic Stauffenburg castle.  We were treated to a slide presentation
by Jim Lager.  Camaraderie and friendship flowed as briskly as the
beer.  The next day (17th) we attended the German sponsored Leica swap
meet at the Stauffenburg Stadthalle.  Lots of neat stuff was evident (
black M2, black lacquer M4, Leica As, Thambar lenses etc.)  The prices
were generally high and I did not see the American contingent making any
big purchases.

Sunday the 18th was a free day.  Many of us traveled to surrounding
towns and to the Rhine river. We then met for a farewell banquet at the
Wetzlarer Hof at 7PM.  Our organizer, Sal DiMarco, a professional press
photographer and LHSA member, gave a slide presentation featuring his
perception of photo journalism.  He did a fantastic job organizing the
trip as everything went smoothly. During the visit we also met with
members of the British Leica Historical Society.  They are a great bunch
of guys and it is my hoipe that we can have a LHSA Spring Shoot in
England next year.

Leically yours,

Paul T. Collura