Subject: [Leica] Computer Printing / Why Leitz Enlarger?
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:30:48 -0700

Anyone using Photoshop 5 PC should download the maintenance upgrade to 5.0.2 from the Adobe web site.  It makes a significant improvement in color management.

Also, the pdf files available from Adobe on color management are a must.

Basically, if you have figured out the ICM workflow, there is no reason why your b&w prints should come out brown.

Here is the workflow that I use for the Epson Photo Ex and an HP Photosmart:
1.  Scan in RGB space (default of scanner).
2.  Set File>Color Settings>RGB Setup to sRGB.
3.  Use Adobe Gamma in Control Panel to set the monitor, and check Display Using Monitor Compensation in File>Color Settings>RGB Setup.
3a.  Convert the mode to Grayscale if the negative is b&w.  If the image was color, convert by using the red channel, not the convert to Grayscale.
4.  On the Print box, check Printer Color Management, and set the Space to Epson Photo Paper 1440 (assuming you are using that paper.)
5.  On the printer setting options use ICM for color management instead of Color Adjustment.
6..  ALWAYS use the color setting for printing, even with b&w.  The black cartridge cannot give you the tiny dot resolution or shading of the color cartridge.

This will give prints that are close to indistinguishable from RC.  Of course, fibre prints have their own look.

You need not convert a b&w file to RGB before you send it to the printer.  The  above workflow takes care of the matter, and saves space.

I find over 300 dpi in the image file cannot be detected.  Best results are between 200 to 300 dpi, and good results can be obtained even down to 150 dpi.  I always print in 1440 printer dpi setting.

"The Rabbi" in the latest Viewfinder was printed using the above workflow.

BTW, I have a Saunders 4500 enlarger, and I can't imagine why a Leitz enlarger would give me any different results, assuming I use the same lens.  Am I missing something?

Regards,

Bob

====================
Gareth Jolly wrote:
. . . .
As far as a print on resin with an average enlarger (say, an
Ilford or LPL), the comparison becomes a lot closer.
. . . .
As to printing using colour inks, I've tried it and it's not
really to my tastes. It gives a warm tone (i.e brown tone)
to prints - similar to using a warm tone paper or developer.
 In darkroom printing, I like a cooler tone.  But it's a
personal matter of course.  And some images work better with
a warmer tone.

========================
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <>
. . . .
What I would suggest you do, is after you scan your photos, you convert the
black and white image from greyscale to RGB. You can do this in your imaging
program.  This will give you more tonality as your printer will use all of
its inks.  Sounds silly, but it works.  You may want to try it.
. . . .
My scans are usually at least 200 dpi with the longest dimension being 10
inches.  You may want to try even 250 dpi with the beforementioned
dimensions.