Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Testing & manufacturing techniques at Solms
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 11:57:02 -0700

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> >Snip: So now I don't understand why there are so many R8 problems, M6
> pressure plate, shutter, RF alignment problems, and lenses with loose
> elements??? So is this all happening "after" they leave Solms?
>
> Very interesting!  The next logical question is whether the "bean counters"
> have had manufacturing go through the camera and lenses and reduce quality on
> each and every part as low as possible (thus saving manufacturing costs and
> increasing profits) without catching the attention of too many potential
> customers?  The prime example is the M-6 pressure plate problem that a number
> of Leica owners have reported.  The pressure plate in my M-6 is so poorly
> finished that the difference between the surface finish on it and the surface
> finish on the M-3 pressure plates is apparent to the eye.  It is doubtful the
> "new" pressure plate just skipped by quality control but was purposely
> manufactured to lower standards with the hope it "would do."  The next
> logical question is how many other CRITICAL parts have the "bean counters"
> cheapened down with the hope the customer will not notice?
snip

Some well taken insights here
	But
a product clearly placed in the market (never mind the tradition) as a
Quality Premium product why would they make obvious finish cutbacks?
Everyone runs their thumb over the pressure plate when they check out a
camera, Watch people at a swap meet.
If they were going to start cutting corners in quality and I don't think
they would they would not do it on the pressure plate.
They would sooner come out with cheeper paint for the red dot so it
starts chiping off in a few months.
"Oh!, that's one of those late millennium lousey Leicas! Look at the Red
Dot chipping off!
Smooth Pressure plate though! run your finger across it!
Smooooooooooth!!!!!!, don't let that fool you!! Its the red dot that's
the key!"
Mark Rabiner
Sick of hearing about pressure plates? I sure am! But Don made some very
interesting points here and I couldn't help popping back at him one last
time as I think I'm soooooooooo insightful and funny!!!!
and I don't agree with Don on the big picture:
This is Leica we are talking about here, not some halfass company.