Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hasselblad versus Leica lenses
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 08:53:02 -0400

Personal opinion here:
Trying to compare Leicas and Hasselblads is like comparing apples to
oranges, in a way. Both are excellent cameras for purpose for which they
were intended. I salute those who use both- when I did weddings as a past
time, I use the 'blads, and can say that I was never disappointed with the
results I obtained from Zeiss optics, nor was I ever disappointed with the
performance of the cameras.
Saying one is superior to the other ignores the varied uses of photography;
it is like the old saying, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every job
you approach starts to look like it involves a nail.
Granted- I use a Leica, primarily because it is light, portable and readily
usable when I am out and about. I use the Rollei for portraits of family and
friends, where I want a large negative. The Schneider optics are
magnificent. And when I do my niece's wedding in June, I have been promised
the use of an Hasselblad system, though I may use the Leicas for candids at
the reception, as always.
Different tasks require different tools. If that were not true, there would
not be such a market for other types of cameras! Zeiss has been around for a
while- as have Nikon, Kwanon, et al- if they produced nothing but crap, I
don't think they'd still be in business, bean counters notwithstanding.
Lighten up, folks- if somebody uses a 'blad, and like the results of Zeiss
lenses, they are not a heretic!