Subject: [Leica] Re:using Hasselblad
From: JIB <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:09:24 -0700

> Andrew Jordan wrote:

> On the other hand,

>      2. Focusing, especially with the waistlevel finder, is slower and less
> accurate than with the Leica-M.

    using the waist level finder is a learned thing, I find that it is not intuitive
at all, you have to go out and work with the camera held down low to appreciate this
unique way of focusing.

>      3. Through-the-lens metering is not possible with the C series.  Only
> the relatively new and very expensive FE series  allows metering.

What about using a metering hood

>      4. There is a loss of spontaneity in "people" pictures and/or street
> photography with the Hasselblad.

        I think you can maintain the spontaneity if you use the waist level finder.

>      5. Mechanical linkage problems are often troublesome. For example,
> (a)the lens may be frozen on the body,or (b) the lens shutter is frozen.

        I know that there is a potential that this can happen, but all the years I
have used a hassy I have never had the system jam up on me.

>      6. It is difficult to compose in the square format. Yes, a 6x4.5cm back
> is available but it is tricky to get shots in a vertical format even with a 90deg
> pentaprism.
>
> Regards, Andrew Jordan

        It can be challenging to compose on the square if are trying to compose for
rectangles.  When I did weddings, we would take a masking guide and tape it to the
screen, and compose inside of the mask.  But, for everything else I compose using
the square. I love square prints, if you do not use all of the negative you might as
well shot 35mm.

John