Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality MF system ?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:51:02 +0000

>Joe Berenbaum wrote:

>I'm quoting the whole message because I couldn't work out what to snip...
>What is interesting to me is that some people still prefer the images they
>get with the simpler Tessars and Xenars on those Rolleiflexes that have
>them. I archived a number of messages from the Rollei list where people
>stated such a preference.

While respecting individual preferences, having used the Xenar, Tessar,
Planar and Xenotar lenses in my repertoire of Rolleis, I am of the opinion
that the slightly higher contrast of the Xenars and Tessars seems suited
for landscapes and scenics.  On the other hand, my Planar and Xenotar shine
in portraiture and people pics.

>This is another interesting case of a preference for a certain "look" not
>necessarily coinciding with superior lens performance. The same phenomenon
>occurs with Leica lenses of course- some people still prefer the look of
>lenses that have officially been superceded by better designs.

Again agreed... between my Tessar and Xenar, the former has an inherent
characteristic which makes beautiful landscapes especially shots involving
bodies of water.

>My suggestion for a suitably esoteric Leica quality MF system; the
>Rolleiflex SL66. Not exactly the latest thing in technology, nor easy to
>find lenses for, but fun if you can find them.

Frankly Joe, I have never handled this big cannon but have heard nice
things about its performance.  We are looking at big bucks here even for an
average condition setup.  The last time I saw one, the dealer was looking
at nothing less than Sing$5000 for one with normal lens.

The cost of a Rolleiflex 2,8GX in mint condition is less than that figure,
much less for a Rolleiflex F with 2.8/80 Planar.

Dan K.