Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality MF system ?
From: "4Season" <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:59:39 -0600

I had an SL66 (two, for a while) and liked it, but today, would
be more inclined to use it for product shots or other niche applications
which can utilize it's macro capabilities, and do not need much lens
movement. Sometimes, the shutter release won't pop back up. The solution is
to whack the camera gently, and it will. The gearing between body and back
sometimes clashes, and here, as with a manual transmission whose synchromesh
doesn't, don't bother finessing it--just give it a firm crank 'till the
gears crunch back into proper mesh, and everything's fine. It's not a
particularly rugged camera, but if you take normal care, and don't freak out
over every perceived flaw, it's fine. This is one camera that I'd be careful
about buying if it looks like it might've been dropped, because I've seen a
body and back warp out of alignment such that the two would fit, but not
interchange with any others.

Jeff