Subject: [Leica] Kids & Cameras
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 00:16:22 -0500

Several months ago there was a thread on how to get kids interested in
photography.

My daughter will be 3 in June and being the daughter of a photographer
she is very used to having her photo made.  I occasionally give her my
camera to make photos.  She has a hard time with it as it is kinda heavy
for her.

Last week she said she wanted her own camera.  This past week while at a
K-Mart I saw a Vivitar plastic point n shoot for $15.00.  I got this
thing for her and gave it to her tonight.  She was very excited and has
been taking pictures all over the place. She has learned how to turn it
on, advance the film and how to look through it. She also has learned
from her dad and carries the thing everywhere she goes.  Gonna make a
news photographer out of her yet....GADS I hope not, she'll be broke,
irritable, cuss like a sailor, and drink way too much. ;)

I guess the best way to get the kids into photography is to make it fun,
not freak out if they handle your cameras.  I have cameras sitting all
over  the place and Ashleigh has never pulled one off a cabinet, played
with one unless I have told her she can...very odd as she ignores me on
other things. :)  I have let her take photos with my cameras since she
was barley big enough to hold the Contax G2 (about 20 months) - have
never given her the Leica as I did not think she would get the film
advance part...may rethink that now.  I have always printed up her photos
and shown them to her...There is even one of me she made on her table in
her room.  She is very proud of this.  Now that she has her own camera I
am sure I am going to be printing a lot of photos of baby dolls.....

I am looking forward to us having a good time sharing this hobby I am
lucky enough to make my living doing.

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net