Subject: [Leica] Long strange trip
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 00:16:30 -0500

I just got back from a trip across North Carolina...man what a weird
trip, when did they make NC a dern Yankee state???

I left Nashville Wednesday morning and it was sunny and very warm, could
tell Summer is starting.  Got into Asheville Wednesday to scout locations
to shoot a skyline shot for the Asheville Convention and visitors
magazine we do and it was cold and rainy/foggy....was beginning to regret
not bringing any long sleeve shirts.

Thursday AM we headed to Grandfather mountain to meet with Hugh Morton
and look over his photos for possible use in the North Carolina Travel
Guide we  produce for the state of NC.  Was a very slow drive as we tried
to drive the Blue Ridge parkway...so foggy we could only see a few feet
in front of the car...finally got off the parkway and had slightly better
luck on the highways.  After looking over Mr. Morton's stock we headed
south to Charlotte...drove through snow in Blowing Rock!!!! SNOW in the
next to last day of April in a southern state!!!  Was REALLY regretting
not bringing any long sleeve shirts.

Thursday evening pulled into Charlotte to shoot the Carolina Panthers NFL
spring practice and get photos of the new guys for the next issue of
"Panther Pride" a magazine we do for the Panthers.

Friday on the way to the practice fields we stop at K Mart and get some
long sleeve shirts, smart move on our parts as it was about 50 degrees
with at least 30 mph winds, and some rain.  My blasted Canon F1 crapped
out on me (actually crapped out at the last game last year and I forgot
about it, seldom use this lens/camera and I forgot it had a problem...oh
well it has given me 10 years of service with no stoppage even after
being dropped so hard it bent the advance lever so bad it was not usable,
6 years ago).  Fortunately I had adapted my ancient 600 to an EOS mount,
Donal thank Helmut for making that thing a "T" mount!!!

So we shot the morning practice then drove up to the Lowe's Motor
Speedway (formerly the Charlotte Motor Speedway) to get a shot of the new
sign out front for the NASCAR magazine we do...no such sign to be seen.
Guess the millions Lowe's spent was not enough for a sign. ;)  Did get a
shot of the new interstate signs "Lowe's Motor Speedway exit 49".

Went back to the Practice fields and shot the afternoon practice then we
drove back to Nashville.  Left Charlotte at 3:30pm CDT got home at 9:50pm
CDT  We were humming!!  I think I averaged 70mph between Asheville and
Knoxville through the mountains.  If you have ever driven this stretch of
highway you know what a feat this was.  Mark, JCI's vice president of
editorial, and my traveling companion on this trip was white knuckling
the "oh shit" bar the whole way...

Oh well I ended up shooting only 11 rolls of film, got all I needed for
the Panthers magazine but not much else.  Found out the two angles of
Asheville are not really what we were hoping for and saw some nice stuff
from Mr Morton's files.  If any of ya'll know of any neat shots of the
Asheville skyline putting it in a Mountain setting let me know.

Sorry to all you NC Luggers, was hoping that I'd have time to drink a
beer or two, but we were very busy this trip.  Hopefully later when I am
working on the Panthers mag and only on that mag I can meet up with some
of ya'll then.

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net