Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica in big trouble? (Nikon too?)
From: raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 12:58:53 +0200

> Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 20:05:35 +0000
> From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
>
> >Not sure if Nikon is such a loaded company.  As far as I know, from its
> >annual reports in the recent years, Nikon has been in the red for many
> >years.  The camera division has been losing money for many years, and the
> >stepper division, which used to be profitable, is a big money-loser now,
> >due to the Asian economic crisis of the 1997, and increased competition.
>
> Well, I am surprised that Nikon is in the red.  Every other serious
> photographer I meet in my part of town totes a Nikon.

- - The money is in consumer type products - Canon has always understood this
  and so it has always been a much bigger company.

>  If Nikon is losing money, then I can only speculate that it is due to some of
>  these reasons:
>
> 1. Overconfidence.
<snip>
> Yes, too many good years, rest on your laurels, count your blessings, sip
> more sake, and soon without you knowing your competitor has overtaken you.
> So... exit Nikon, and welcome....Canon!
<snip>

> 4. APS system
> This has been around for at least 4-5 years.  Hardly a success.  The
> people involved do not know whether to laugh or to cry.  My camera dealer
> tells me that hardly any are now buying APS system cameras.  It's a bad
> dream that won't go away.  Nikon put its foot into it and is now sweating
> it out.

- - it made sense for them (still does) to try improve their position in consumer
  type cameras - the problem is that their line of P/S cameras (APS or other-
  wise) is so lacklustre.

All the best!
Raimo

Photos at: http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen