Subject: [Leica] RE; Canon F1 was leica in trouble
From: JIB <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 18:11:55 -0700

> If you don't hammer nails with the camera, Canon cameras will survive
> quitea bit.

    In June of 1974, I was shopping for a high end 35mm camera.  So the
saleman recommended why not come to the demonstration and talk to the
Canon rep.   He described the advantages of the F-1 and then pulled out
a two by four peice of wood, took a large nail.  He opened the camera,
held it by it's back and hammered the nail inot the wood.  Closed it and
handed it to me, and it was just as smooth as the other body I had been
playing with.  I shot Canon exclusively for 12 years.  Then the House
was burglarized and they stole it all,  I refused at the time to buy new
Canon because they had changed the  mount and it looked like they were
no longer going to produce or support the FD mount.  So, I looked around
for a camera system that had never changed their mount.  And, the only
real system camera that passed the test except for Nikon was Leica R.
But. even more importantly was that I now had the advantage of all of
the Leica glass.  Then when they introduced the R7, it was like I went
home.  This is the most solid feeling camera that I have ever owned
except for the F-1.

My 2 cents worth
John