Subject: [Leica] The Big Screen
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 18:38:09 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:
> . And then he
> showed his pictures on a 30 foot screen to a group of the best
> photojournalists and editors in the business and the reaction was universal
> awe.

Projection is amazing.  Last year I did images for a high end production
for the dealer meeting of one of the boating companies I work for and we
projected them on a 20 x 60 foot screen and they looked absolutely
knockout.  Size matters!  What was really amazing was that most were
done with Fuji and Kodak films pushed to 1000ASA and shot on Nikon and
Leica.  The grain was of no consequence.  I didn't shoot the film by
choice, but deadlines and production schedule didn't leave time for
serious lighting of dim spaces.

donal
(which is not to say Jim's pix aren't wonderful without projection.  He
and his pix are closer to Sam Abel in temperment.  His work on the Khan
stories recently were top of form. )
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego