Subject: Re: [Leica] Photography and Prague (off topic)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 06:35:07 +0200

Gary,

Thanks for mentioning this. It brings memories for me as well; in August 1968 I
was
a second-grader in Wroclaw in south-western Poland. In September or October some

of the Polish troops who had participated in the Warsaw Pact invasion of
Czechoslovakia
and crushed the Prague Spring came back to Poland through our town, and we
school-
children were equipped with little Polish flags and commandeered out on one of
the main
streets to cheer on our returning heroes who had been resisting imperialist
aggression in
Czechoslovakia...

Amazingly, I knew better, as I used to spend the evenings with my parents
listening to
Radio Free Europe. And three years later, we emigrated to Denmark, partly
prompted
by the events of 1968, and I was born again in freedom.

Nathan

Gary Todoroff wrote:

> SNIP

> Be sure to take some time, Bruce, in and
> around the university buildings, and say a little prayer at the memorial
> there to the brave, freedom-loving students who died during the Prague
> Spring ( http://www.centraleurope.com/ceo/special/spring68/galuska.html ) of
> 1968, when I was also a young student not too far away at the University of
> Tuebingen in Germany.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium